Language is the basis for a mode of communication during training. A common language facilitates better interaction. Be it a small or a big organization, all welcome employees from different regions having distinct cultural roots.
This is so because as businesses go global, they begin to embrace the international workforce too. Training of employees is the biggest investment that businesses make as it determines the growth of a business directly or indirectly. But the problem arises when the mode of instruction during training is in contrast to their native language.
Imagine a situation where a sales representative who has done his schooling and graduated in a native language is suddenly exposed to a different language (say English). He may not be able to justify his work. Further, this can lead to-
- Lack of participation of learners
- Reduces engagement
- Higher dropout rates
- Weakens feedback mechanism
- Loss of time (as learners may take time to understand)
This directly affects the learning outcomes and lowers the productivity of employees.
To overcome these challenges, a learning management system (LMS) should be adopted. An LMS is a web-based platform that offers a complete solution for training purposes to businesses. For example, LMS for sales training is used widely in organizations to deliver and manage efficient sales training programs to employees.
What Is Multilingual LMS?
A learning management system that supports multiple languages for online learners and customers is called a multilingual LMS. Such LMSs are in increased demand and are considered engaging as they help to optimize the user experience by localizing the learning process. Having a multilingual learning management system puts an end to geographical boundaries and streamlines the learning environment for non-English speakers.
Need for a Multilingual LMS:
1. Increases Learners Engagement
Sometimes an employee can possess a good amount of knowledge. But at the same time, they may underperform or hesitate to speak up just because they don’t understand English. A multilingual LMS, not just provides eLearning content in multiple languages but also changes the entire user interface.
Online learners have a choice to pick and choose the language they want. This is very helpful, as they can navigate through the system by following certain instructions in the local language.
2. Learners Friendly Interface
A multilingual LMS creates a user-friendly interface in the following ways:
- The online learners have an option to select the language keyboard, i.e., make use of the buttons in the keyboard layout with real-time typing in the local language.
- It comes with language direction support, i.e., providing left to right or right-to-left direction based on the writing style of a language. E.g.- the right-to-left direction in the case of the Arabic language.
- It makes sure that the data and interface are not just translated but are adapted to a specific region they are used in. The online learners are given an upper hand in modifying the eLearning course layout, theme, icons, etc.
3. Localizing eLearning Content
Creating content that can be understood by all is the basic foundation of a training program. Multilingual LMS provides eLearning content in multiple languages and forms.
- For instance, online training material can be made available in different languages. Also, the videos can be dubbed or subtitles can be added to ease the learning process.
- In fact, a multilingual LMS can be useful in building a dominant corporate language. For example, online learners can access eLearning content in the native language but also keep referring to English eLearning content as well to build vocabulary. It can work the other way round, too. They can work in English (or the main office language) and when they get stuck, cross-check their preferred translation. This helps them get better in both languages.
4. Multilingual Performance Evaluation
A multilingual LMS creates equal opportunities for all online learners to prove their knowledge. Such eLearning assessments help in boosting the confidence which is translated into their performance.
This feature is most beneficial for compliance training.
5. Rate of Course Completion Increases
The language barrier is the major cause of high turnover and dropout. The employees feel out of place and may develop a sense of inferiority when they are unable to understand and communicate in English.
This may result in employees not completing their training on time, as they take comparatively longer in building conceptual clarity.
But multilingual LMS is a complete solution for both the organization and the online learners. Through this, online learners can access eLearning courses in multiple languages. They will be able to complete eLearning courses faster without getting stuck on one topic. They develop more interest in the course.
6. Feedback is Strengthened
By giving feedback in the local language, learning and training voids are filled in. It brings the eLearning project managers, online instructors, and online learners on the same page.
7. Increased Customer Satisfaction
Better the online training, better will be the outcomes which will be surely reflected in the employees work.
E.g.- if the product training is done using a multilingual LMS then the employees or sales team will be better able to make the end-users or customers understand the features and benefits of an XYZ product. This is so because we can see instances where the customers find it difficult to understand the product language. In this case, the employee can help in retaining and expanding the customer base.
8. Building Global Workforce
With multilingual LMS, the organization can easily train employees all around the globe, irrespective of their native language. In this way, they can establish a diverse and culturally rich workforce that is essential for social learning.
As the online training resources are available in native languages, geography and language do not hinder organizations to hire and train skilful employees.
A multilingual LMS caters to a wider audience. Hence, it is worth investing in to reap lifelong benefits. It amplifies the e-learning experience by providing a user interface that is conducive to one’s style of learning. It constructs a platform that provides equal opportunities to all and also enhances the performance of employees greatly.